Thursday, June 14, 2012

Losing a dear friend

On Monday, June 11, we lost our dog of 11 years. Less than a week before she died, Maggie was diagnosed with cancer. She went downhill so quickly that we're still a little in shock that she's gone. Maggie was such a sweet dog with a friendly personality. She never knew a stranger and especially loved kids! I never knew that I'd miss her barking, her messy eating, and her muddy paws. There are reminders of her everywhere around the house, like her collar & bones, and it just feels weird not to have her here. I'm sure I'll be finding her fur around the house for a long time to come.

Eleven years ago, Maggie was a Valentine's present from me to Lew. I had never really wanted a dog and thought they were slobbery & kind of stinky. I even used to be scared of dogs as a child. But I knew that my husband wouldn't truly be happy without a doggie companion. Well, the rest is history because that little golden retriever turned me into a dog lover for sure! Here are some memories I have of Maggie:
  • The first day that we brought Maggie home she came right in and pooped on the floor!
  • When Maggie was a puppy, she and I went to dog obedience classes together, and we really bonded. She was the "star student" in class, but she pulled me like crazy everywhere else! On the other hand, she did learn some pretty cool tricks and loved to entertain our guests.
  • She was kind of our "special delivery" dog for important announcements. She helped me announce both of my pregnancies to Lew by carrying a note to him in her mouth. One time I used this system for a birthday or something, and Lew was getting a little worried that there might be a third baby announcment! :)
  • Maggie was a pacifier thief when Will was a baby.
  • After I spent hours planting tulip bulbs, she ran by and ripped every one of them out after they had bloomed. She also ate an entire holly bush once.
  • Maggie loved eating popcorn and enjoyed stealing napkins from people's laps.
  • She went on every Lake Michigan vacation with us. She loved strutting around town and visiting with people.
  • She barked at every moving thing outside. I always knew when someone was outside before the doorbell rang. After she died, I had a package sitting outside all day because I was never alerted that the UPS guy had come. :(
  • Maggie was our helper every night to put the boys to bed. Then after we were done, she stared Lew down until he took her on a walk. She was very demanding like that. :) They enjoyed walking every single night together.
Here are some photos of Maggie:

This was from our Lake Michigan vacation last summer. We were geocaching.

Maggie's a rock star! This was also from our Michigan vacation last year. These sweet girls loved our dog so much! They loved brushing her when they visited our house. I was happy that they were able to see her just a few days before she died.
We always got a kick out of this pet bakery in St. Joseph, Michigan. Maggie went inside once and stole a treat out of a big barrel. I guess she thought it was a free buffet!
Beautiful "Princess Maggie!" We will miss you, girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment